People often tend to forget that cleaning appliances themselves need cleaning too!
Be it dishwashers or washing machines; these appliances can get quite dirty and unsanitary if not cleaned at regular intervals.
A lot of people fall for the notion that since we put in a ton of detergent inside washing machines, the machine cleans itself while washing our clothes. But this is quite far from the truth!
Your washing machine accumulates all kinds of nasty things ranging from dirt to detergent residue after every usage, and if you don’t clean your washer every once in a while, things can become quite unsanitary.
And if you are spending a lot of money to purchase one of the best washing machines, you might just as well look after it!
So if you’re looking for a guide on how you should clean your washing machine without having to spend too much money and time, give this article a read!
How to Clean a Top Loading Washing Machine
What you need:
Cleaning a Top-Loading washing machine is quite easy!
- First of all, you need to run a normal wash cycle on your washing machine with the hottest water settings available. Once the machine fills up with water, add ½ cup of baking soda and 2 cups of white vinegar into the water and let it run as usual.
- The combination of white vinegar and baking soda helps in breaking down all kinds of dust particles, grease or detergent residue that may have accumulated inside your washer and even cleans out the hoses.
- Now, to clean the outside, use a microfiber cloth with a little washing up liquid to clean away the stains on the body of the washing machine.
- Once that is taken care of, pull out the fabric softener dispenser and check if it is greasy. If it is, you can either run it through your dishwasher or wash it in your sink using some soap. You may also consider replacing fabric softener with vinegar as it is better for your machine!
How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine
What you need:
- To clean a front loader, you’ll first need to add around ½ a cup of white vinegar into the drum of the machine and 2 tablespoons of baking soda inside the detergent drawer. Once this is done, run a regular wash on the hot setting of your washing machine.
- Once the washing part is taken care of, you might want to clean out the filter, because a clogged filter is usually the biggest source of problems in front loading machines.
- You should also clean up the fabric softener and soap dispensers by pulling them out and placing them on the top basket of your dishwasher. You can also manually clean them in your sink and then allow it to dry in the sun.
- Preventing mould buildup on the seals of your washing machine is yet another issue that can be easily dealt with by keeping the front door of the machine open for some time in between washes!
- However, if you have a lot of mould buildup, use a microfiber cloth with equal parts of vinegar and hot water to wipe it away.
With this article, hopefully, we have been able to help you out and address any questions that you might have had regarding cleaning up your washing machine.
So the next time you feel like you need to clean your washing machine, just follow these simple instructions!
You can find more helpful washing tips in the home section of our website.
Connect with Mum Knows Best!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Till next time!