If you’ve been thinking about purchasing a steam mop but keep wondering which is the best steam mop to buy, you’ve come to the right place! It can be difficult to make a choice, especially when we get bombarded with clever marketing tactics all the time.
Don’t worry, we’ve done the research for you and have come up with a list of the models that we believe to be the best steam mops available to buy in Australia.
Steam mops are great for removing bacteria, germs and viruses from smooth, hard surfaces and they’re a great way to remove visible dirt from your floors too. It’s very important that, whichever steam mop you choose, you wash the mop pads after each use in your washing machine with laundry detergent.
The detergent will help to break down the cell walls of any viruses and germs picked up on the mop pad and this, along with the rough action of the washing machine, will kill off any viruses your mop has picked up off the floor.
The good news is that all steam mops seem to be fairly equal in their ability to remove stains and dirt from your floors, so you should be reasonably satisfied with the cleaning ability of any make or model that you buy.
But, there are other things worth considering when choosing a steam mop such as, how easy it is to use and refill and how wet they leave your floors – steam mops shouldn’t leave you with puddles of water on the floor so the better models available should leave your floors drier than others.
Things To Look For When Choosing A Steam Mop
- Power Cord – there’s nothing worse than not being able to reach all of the areas of your floor that you want to clean, so a long power cord is useful. Of course, if the model you choose has a short cord, this can always be rectified by adding an extension cord, but it’s just another thing to think about.
- Carpet Glider – most steam mops come with an attachment for using the mop on carpet. While a steam mop can be good for a bit of carpet freshening, it won’t replace a heavy duty steam cleaner or a professional carpet shampoo for getting your carpet properly cleaned. Still, an attachment/pad designed for use on carpet is always handy to have.
- Good Sized Water Tank – the bigger the tank the longer you’ll be able to use your mop without refilling. Some models also come with the ability to refill the water tank without turning the mop off. This is a really handy feature as it cuts out downtime waiting for the mop to cool down before you can safely refill it.
- Adjustable Handle – steam mops with a telescopic wand or handle are superior to those without as it means you can adjust the height to meet your needs (depending on your height) and save extra strain on your back.
- Indicator Light – Models with a steam-ready indicator make life easier as it becomes plain to see when your machine has heated up and is ready to start steaming.
- Quick Heat Up Time – no one wants to wait around for a long time waiting for the mop to be ready. Heat up times can vary between models anywhere from about 15 seconds to several minutes. If you just want to do a quick clean, you don’t want to have to wait 5 minutes before your steam mop is ready to go, so a quick heat up is a good heat up!
- Accessories and Attachments – these are often included to help use your steam mop to clean bathrooms, showers and windows. It’s worth checking which accessories come with the model you are considering and deciding if those accessories would be useful for your household cleaning needs.
- Steam-On Lock Switch – if you don’t want to have to continuously hold down a trigger to release the steam, you’ll want to look for a model that allows you to switch it on for a continuous flow.
- Cleaning Pads – all steam mops should come with at least one cleaning pad. Some will include different pads for different surfaces. It’s a good idea to make sure you are getting at least 2 cleaning pads. As mentioned previously, these pads need to be washed in the washing machine after every use so, by having at least one spare pad, you’ll make sure you’ve always got one ready to use.
Best Steam Mop Australia
So, what are the best steam mops to buy in Australia? Here’s a list of our top 5 recommended steam mops available in Australia right now.
1. Euroflex MC1X5
While not technically a steam mop and more of a heated mop, this model uses “Thermal Heat Technology” to achieve a perfect clean. We felt we had to include it in our list of the best steam mops because it not only cleans but also dries floors perfectly leaving a streak-free finish.
This new design of heat technology is perfect if you have water sensitive floors such as timber or laminate. Too much water, which can be caused by regular steam mops, can damage these types of floors so, if that’s the type of flooring you have, this heated mop is definitely worth considering.
2. Bissell PowerFresh Slim 2233F
This machine comes with all the bells and whistles including an on board storage kit which allows you to carry tools while you steam clean – grout tool, angle tool, flat scraper tool, brass bristle scrub brush – perfect for steam cleaning every part of your home. It even comes with a clothing steamer and window cleaning attachment, it really does cover everything!
Lightweight and easy to use resulting in dry floors and a streak free finish, there’s a lot to love about this device.
3. Hoover i-Vac Steamy Wonder
Reasonably priced, lightweight and easy to use, this steam mop by Hoover is definitely worth considering.
Backed by the Hoover name, the “Steamy Wonder” offers an easy-access on/off button near the handle and the lengthy 5m power cord so you can cover your kitchen floor easily. It also leaves a nice dry, streak-free finish.
5. Bissell PowerFresh Slim Professional 2232H
Another one from the Bissell range of steam mops, again this model comes fully equipped with accessories including a window squeegee tool as well as a wall mount for easy storage.
Of course, with so many included “bonus” components, the price of this model is on the higher side. But, if you think you’ll use your steam mop for cleaning lots of surfaces in your home including the windows, then this is definitely one you should consider.
So, which is the best steam mop to buy? Any of the above 5 will do a great job of helping to keep your floors clean. Which one you should buy will depend on your budget and whether you’ll just be using it on your hard floors or also on carpet and other household surfaces.